Friday, January 30, 2009

I Gave Birth!


To a beautiful, bouncing KIDNEY STONE weighing no more than a few grains of rice and no bigger than 5-6mm in length.
This proud mama is happy to say that it entered into the world sometime last night and left the house for good this morning!

Okay, all kidding aside, I was in AGONIZING pain yesterday starting a little after 11am.
I went to meet my sister for lunch and to get out for the day because Jack was driving me crazy with his poo-poo pity party and I couldn't get Addy to take a decent nap, so this mama needed a break. Well, about 10 minutes into lunch I was feelin' the pain, but hoping that it would be like some of my other kidney stones and just come and go and not get very bad. OH MAN, was I WRONG!! I left our lunch date early and was thinking that maybe if I kept myself busy I would be able to tolerate things better, OH NO, I was WRONG again! By the time I had buckled both the kids in the car and put away the stroller I wanted to DIE! I had a call into my Dr. and was waiting for them to call me back, so I decided to try and make it home BIG mistake, HUGE! I was bawling my eyes out and moaning in pain. The nurse called and said that she would have a prescription waiting for someone to come get it, ENTER HAL (my savior!). My sweet husband called to see how my day was going and when I answered I told him I was dying! He asked me if I wanted him to come home and I said "YES, PLEASE!" In almost 15 years of knowing this man I have never asked for him to come home from work because I didn't feel well. Today I needed him!
By the time I somehow made my way home I was writhing in pain, wanting to just DIE! Jack had fallen asleep in his car seat and Addy was screaming with hunger, so what did this mama do???? I picked Addy up, pulled down my pants, stripped off my shirt, sat on the toilet (the only place in this world that I could possibly be comfortable) and nursed this poor baby. Yea, you are all picturing that right now, not a pretty sight is it?!?!
Addy feel asleep and I was moaning in pain. I somehow managed to get Jack out of the car and on to the couch without waking him up and I took Addy upstairs with me, because of course she only slept for 3 or 4 minutes. I got in a SUPER HOT bath thinking, hopingt, praying that it would soothe me. WRONG again! Thankfully Addy was happy sitting in her bouncy chair while I moaned and screamed and cried in pain. At one time I was literally rolling around on the ground hoping that the motion would jog the kidney stone loose. I jumped, but the just made it worse, WAY WORSE. I puked because the pain was so intense. I even contemplated standing on my head to see if that would help move something.
It was the strangest sensation, my body was literally bearing down like when I have given birth. My poor body didn't want this stone in it and was trying to get it OUT!
At this point Hal called to say that the script was almost filled and he would be home in 20 minutes, 20 MINUTES are you kidding me, it might as well be an eternity! I told him to skip the pills , come pick me up and take me to get a shot of morphine, demerol, toradol, HELL anything at that point, just shoot me, with something! But, the smart man did wait and by the time he came home the stone must have settled some where better, because on a scale from 1-10 I was at an 8 instead of the mind boggling 15 that I had been feeling 10 minutes earlier.
I took 2 percocet, 2 phenegren and went to bed hoping that it would knock me out, it worked! I slept and was in a drug induced coma for a few hours. I woke up at 6pm and could still feel the pain, but now muted by the drugs. So, I overdosed I couldn't wait the six hours I was supposed. I made it to the 4 hour mark (8pm) and took 1 more percocet, heaven! But, by 9:30 I wanted to die again.
Hal called his brother and asked him to come over and give me a blessing. Paul got there and they pulled out the oil and blessed me. I am so thankful that I have a righteous, loving, caring and worthy priesthood holder for a husband. He blessed me that my body would be able to get rid of this burden and that I would feel better soon. I took another percocet and phengren and went to bed. Sometime in the middle of the night Jack woke up and that woke up Addy. I nursed Addy and she went back to sleep and then Jack wanted some Mommy love. BUT, I was feeling a really sharp pain, Jack not knowing mommy wasn't feeling good jumped on my stomach and "plink" I felt the stone plop into my bladder! Hallelujah!!! let the Angels in heaven sing! Let the flood gates open, this stone was on its way out. By the time I woke up this morning I was feeling almost 100% better, albeit for the headache, dizziness and sleepiness left over from taking Percocet.

Anywho......I feel better, AHHHHHHHH!

p.s. Thank you to everyone who suggested miralax, I finally got out today and bought some. He is on his first dose right now. I will keep you updated on the poo-poo pity party.

8 comments:

Brossettelewis said...

Wow, just like a birth story...in a non baby receiving sort of way. You notched up my compassion scale for you and Jessica a bit more.

Kim said...

Oh my! I'm so sorry you had to go through that!! I'm glad you are feeling better...I've not ever had a kidney stone but have given birth...your kidney stone sounds much worse.

Ina said...

Not to judge because I drink it too but you might want to lay off the diet soda. I have no medical proof of this but it is something to think about. My sisters mother-in-law use to have kidney stone problems and when she stopped drinking diet soda it made a miraculous difference. Once again just somehting to think about I am not a doctor or anything.

Suzie said...

Ina I actually read somewhere that chocolate could be the culprit. Anything is worth a try, I don't want to go through this again - EVER! There is a list of 10 things that I should avoid, diet drinks weren't on there, but I may add it to my list. UGH, I hope they don't come back.

Anonymous said...

Wow, I'm so sorry. I agree with Kim--that sounds worse than giving birth. Particularly because, when it was all over, there was no cute cooing brand-new baby in your arms--just some stupid little stone...

Amy said...

I found your blog...I am glad that you are feeling better. Thanks for having a son who is a good example for my son.

Anonymous said...

I feel for you. I've had kidney stones for about 10 years and the best thing for them is morphine. It's ever more fun when they get bigger in your bladder so they have a tight squeeze coming all the way out...Hopefully you won't have any more big stones like the one you had to endure already.

Jill Freestone said...

oh, dear, oh dear, I'm so so sorry. That is truly awful. and then you're sick on top of it. I'm sick too, so I hear you, but I feel lucky with no diaper's to change over here. Miralax is our family friend too, that and graham crackers and raisins.
Hope you have a fabulous day, right away!